Note: A good tanning oil like hawaiian tropic wont cost you much. It also save you a lot of trouble making your own tanning oil. Check it out below
- Exotic island botanicals, a rare blend of nature's rich oils
- Protected by broad-spectrum UVA or UVB sunscreens, your skin is soft and looks radiant
- Nourishing antioxidants
You might think that a DIY tanning oil that you make at home may be far inferior to the manufactured ones in giving you a vibrant, deep glowing tan and healthy skin.
However, a well-made tanning oil substitute can be the best thing for your skin and it can even match the best tanning oils in the market if prepared the right way.
A glowing golden brown skin is very popular among men and women in Western countries as a mark of beauty and sexual appeal, but it’s not always good for your health. There are several tanning methods you can use to help you achieve a fast and healthy tan.
There are also commercial tanning oils in the market, but for a less expensive option, you can make your tanning oil with an olive oil base.
It’s important to remember that no matter the oil you use, it should contain something to prevent sunburns.
What makes a good tanning oil substitute?
The ingredients contained in a good tanning oil will help to speed up the tanning process to give your skin a natural radiance that will attract some sunshine but filter excess UV light.
Some regular tanning oils contain many natural ingredients, but they may also contain chemicals that may harm your skin and your health. A good tanning oil substitute will be free of any ingredients that could harm your skin and cause damage.
These oils should be able to give you a nice tan while still moisturising and nurturing your skin against the harmful effects of the sun.
You can opt to use the natural oils that are readily available in your home like olive oil, coconut oil, aloe vera, etc. or homemade oils that you can prepare at home.
Benefits of using natural and homemade oils
Using homemade natural tanning oils has its benefits and with different ingredients that don’t contain any dangerous elements to give you a healthy glowing tan.
Here are some of the advantages you will get by using natural homemade oils.
- You can easily make natural tanning oils in your home
- The ingredients are safe to use
- There are no side effects or allergic reactions
- Very cheap compared to other oils
- Have added benefits and nutrients for your skin and health
- You know all the ingredients that are in the oil
List of Different natural tanning oils for your skin
- Olive oil
- Imported from Italy. Cold production obtained exclusively from olives harvested from the finest...
- First cold press. This extra virgin olive oil is the quintessential everyday oil which is well...
- This product bares the North American olive oil Association (NAOOA) quality seal and has been tested...
Olive oil is a rich source of vitamin E and contains antioxidant properties that will keep your skin well moisturized while protecting your skin from too much UV light. It also gives your skin a dark tone, so if you’re looking to achieve a darker tone you can just mix olive oil and some carrot juice.
However, you need to use the right olive oil for tanning. Extra virgin olive oil is the best because it’s less processed which will give you a positive change on your skin when tanning.
If you don’t want to buy a pricey brand tanning oil, olive oil is a great option. It contains nutrients that are good for your skin and it prevents your skin from over-drying.
You can also add a tincture of iodine to help prevent your skin from sunburn and some carrot juice that will help you achieve a darker tan, and it’s also good for your skin. You will find carrot juice in many manufactured tanning lotions.
For the right portions, mix 4-6oz of olive oil and 5 drops each of the tincture of iodine and carrot juice, then apply the mixture on your body and sunbathe and reapply after every hour.
- Coconut oil
- NATURALLY EXTRACTED and NUTRIENT DENSE: Nutiva’s all-natural cold press extraction process yields...
- PREMIUM DIET COMPATIBILITY: Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil is an ideal addition to vegetarian, vegan,...
- HEALTH AND BEAUTY: Nutiva Virgin Coconut Oil has natural moisturizing and deep conditioning...
Coconut oil is a natural oil that has great benefits on your skin and good to use as a tanning oil or a base. It’s rich in fatty acids that nourish and protect your skin from microbes, lipids that help protect your skin from sun damage and trap the moisture in, and a pleasant scent.
It also gets absorbed fast into your skin and doesn’t cause any irritation regardless of your skin type or medical conditions. It offers natural SPF4 protection which makes it perfect for a natural tanning oil.
And just like olive oil, you should use virgin coconut oil to give you beautiful results and the best part about this oil is it’s perfect for use for your indoor and outdoor tanning, and it’s readily available in your local stores.
- Avocado oil
Avocado oil has so many benefits both for your skin and your health which makes it an all-in-one solution when it comes to finding a great tanning oil.
It contains natural sunscreen properties and is rich in vitamins A, B1, B2, B5, C, D, E, and K, and also anti-aging properties that are an added benefit in keeping your skin looking young and helping to get rid of wrinkles and fine lines.
It’s also packed with fatty acids and lecithin that help in repairing your skin while oleic acid keeps your skin moisturized and protects it from damage caused by overexposure to UV light.
- Sunflower oil
- Sunflower Seed Oil for Skin - Try our antioxidant skin oil rich in linoleic acid and oleic acid to...
- Sunflower Oil for Hair - Sunflower oil is a potent hair moisturizer for dry hair that helps lock in...
- Body Moisturizer - Sunflower is a powerful natural body oil for dry skin packed with healthy hair...
Apart from being a great natural moisturizer, sunflower oil is also good for tanning and controlling your tanning effects. It moisturizes your skin so that it doesn’t dry up and crack while you’re sunbathing and it’s also known for maintaining your skin’s elasticity.
It also protects your skin against fine lines and wrinkles so that your skin looks radiant and young.
- Wheat-germ oil
- 🔹 100% pure Cold Pressed Wheatgerm Virgin Oil
- 🔹 Packed full of vitamins, minerals and fatty acids. Rich in Vitamins A, B and E.
- 🔹 Rich in potent, natural antioxidants, suitable for all skin types, including those with mature...
Wheat-germ oil is got from the kernels of wheat grains and is great in smoothening your skin and giving you a natural-looking golden glow.
Wheat-germ is rich in vitamins A, B, E, and D that help in improving your skin’s elasticity and protecting it from the harmful effects of sun damage that include pigmentation, fine lines, and wrinkles.
It’s also rich in magnesium, potassium, and other nutrients that your skin needs to protect itself when tanning. Its anti-oxidant and anti-aging properties are also an added benefit for your skin especially when you’re exposing your skin to the sun for long periods.
- Green tea extracts or aloe vera
One of the best and most effective ways of helping to control the effects of sunburn is by using ingredients that contain soothing and antioxidant properties like aloe vera or green tea extracts.
The antioxidants in the green tea extracts can counteract and neutralize the UV ray’s effects on your skin and the aloe vera will soothe your skin. The green tea extracts contain vitamin E and ECGC, an antioxidant that is 20 times more powerful than vitamin E, while its anti-carcinogenic effects prevent any damage to your skin throughout.
Aloe vera is saturated with vitamins and minerals that help in treating sunburns.
Prevention is always better than cure and using aloe vera is a great way of protecting your skin when tanning. Natural aloe vera gel can produce oil that you can apply on your skin before your tanning session.
A mixture of these two oils will not only improve your skin’s elasticity, but it will also correct your skin’s imbalances.
- Hazelnut oil
- Premium Grade Hazelnut Fragrance Oil - Good Essential only provides the highest quality fragrance...
- Bottled In A 1 Ounce Amber Glass Bottle - Our Hazelnut oil is bottled in a durable amber glass...
- Just Add A Few Drops To Any Diffuser - Simply add a couple drops to any aromatherapy diffuser (steam...
This is another great natural oil that is rich in vitamin E and is a very popular active ingredient in natural tanning oils.
It has a high fatty acid content and is readily absorbed into your skin. When tanning, your skin goes through a lot of stress from excess exposure to the sun’s rays which can cause it to dry up if it isn’t moisturized.
Hazelnut oil helps to keep your skin nourished and moisturized and also retains its natural elasticity.
- Sesame oil
- A Traditional Touch: Sesame oil has long been giving its characteristic flavor to traditional Asian...
- Quality You can Taste: The mainstay of all La Tourangelle’s natural, artisanal oils is premium...
- Delicious and Versatile: Our oils, dressings and vinaigrettes make it easy to create distinctive...
This oil is got from sesame seeds which are a strongly scented oil with a thick and gooey consistency that you should use sparingly.
It’s rich in vitamin E and like coconut oil, it has an SPF protection of between 4 and 6 so you’re well protected from the harmful UV rays when sunbathing to achieve your golden glow.
Now you don’t have to worry about getting a sunburn and the best part is you get that natural dark looking tan you want without using chemicals that will harm your skin.
Sesame oil also has anti-aging properties that will keep your skin looking young and help in eliminating wrinkles and fine lines.
DIY tanning oil Tips to get natural tan
- Choose oil or lotion with a low SPF
Apply an oil or lotion with a low SPF if you want to get a quick tan, but you still want to protect your skin from the sun’s rays.
Ideally, you can use an oil, spray, mist, or lotion with an SPF of 4-15 depending on the strength of your base tan, but if you already have a base tan you can get lower one.
If you’re a first-time tanner, SPF of 15 will prevent your skin from sunburn. To get the perfect even tan use oil or spray because they have a watery texture that you can easily spread on your skin.
Also, wear a lip balm with SPF15 to avoid getting dry and chapped lips which are painful and unattractive.
- LASTING LIP PROTECTION. Our unique SPF lip balm is not just for a day at the beach. This triple...
- HOW TO USE. Apply liberally on lips to keep them safe and soft. Reapply frequently on sun-centric...
- PROTECT YOUR LIPS. The key to safe sun is to protect and moisturize your skin. Our Sun and Lip...
- Apply a natural oil with a good base tan
If you already have a base tan and don’t want to use the store-bought products, you can use natural oils like avocado oil, olive oil, hazelnut oil, sesame oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil, and many others that will attract the sun to give you a natural golden glow that you can wash off with water and soap after tanning.
- Turn your body often
To ensure that you get an even tan, you need to turn your body frequently like every half hour.
You can start with your back, then after 30 minutes turn to your left side, then your stomach, and lastly your right side and not forgetting to change the positions of your arms and legs to avoid uneven tan lines.
- Be positioned to direct sunlight
Keep yourself positioned directly at the sun so when the sun moves, move your chair or towel.
Alternatively, if you don’t want to spend your day lying around, you can do other activities outside, but ensure that you’re wearing few clothes as possible so that you expose as much skin as possible to the sun.
- Sunbathe at peak hours for a quick tan
We all know it’s not healthy to be out in the sun when it’s too hot, but if you want a quick tan you should sunbath when the sun is at its strongest which is between 10 am and 4 pm.
- Get naked
If you aim to get a tan all over then you have no other option than to put your birthday suit on and let the sun do the rest while you sit in the sun. You can do this in your backyard or while you tan naked.
- Use a reflective towel or sheet to focus the sun
This is an old-fashioned way of tanning but it helps to focus and magnify the sun on your skin by either lying on the reflective towel or using a reflective sun screen.
Place the reflective sun screen on your waist n tilt it at a 45-degree angle until the sun hits your body.
- Lay on a floating device in the water
Another option would be to lay on or near water because water attracts and reflects sunlight which can help your skin absorb as much sun as possible.
- Reapply the oil after every 2 hours
Make sure to reapply the oil after every 2 hours to ensure that you’re always covered with a low SPF oil or lotion.
- Moisturize after tanning
- Experience Natural Hemp Seed Oil: Helps soothe inflammation, and calm atopic dermatitis, the...
- A Fresh and Light Fragrance: Our moisturizer is naturally scented, providing a crisp, clean aroma....
- Dramatic Skin Hydration: With shea butter and ginseng to help reduce any redness, your skin will...
Keep your skin hydrated and moisturized with an aloe-based moisturizer to prevent your skin from drying out.
Natural oils do an amazing job of repairing, rejuvenating, and protecting your skin from sun damage so that you can enjoy healthy glowing skin.
Using natural DIY tanning oils which make a great tanning oil substitute is not only cost-effective, it’s also a very effective way of taking care of your skin. So enjoy getting a tan while using natural oils that have no side effects or allergic reactions to your skin.