Spray tanning is the easiest and smartest way to get a bronze glow without putting a lot of effort, but sometimes the results can fail to stay for long and you might wonder why.
Most people forget that when you get a spray tan, what you do before and after is also important.
How you take care of your tan once you leave the tan salon is crucial in keeping your tan flawless. To ensure that your sunless tan stays for longer and fades away gradually and smoothly, you need to use best lotion after spray tan.
Before we go into the tips and things to do after a spray tan, lets dive into the list of lotion below.
List of the best lotions to use after a spray tan
Natural Hempz seed oil body moisturizer
- Experience Natural Hemp Seed Oil: Helps soothe inflammation, and calm atopic dermatitis, the benefits of hemp seed oil are limitless. Rich in omega-6 and...
- A Fresh and Light Fragrance: Our moisturizer is naturally scented, providing a crisp, clean aroma of flowers and bananas. Without any harsh chemicals found in...
- Dramatic Skin Hydration: With shea butter and ginseng to help reduce any redness, your skin will remain hydrated through anything. Whether you have winter...
Hempz seed oil is a popular and great daily moisturizing lotion that contains shea butter and vitamins that help to keep your skin well moisturized and hydrated to give you a long-lasting and natural-looking spray tan. This body moisturizer is rich in omega 3 and 6 and fatty acids to help soothe ant inflammation on your skin.
Vitamin A, C, and E will protect your skin from any oxidants present naturally and in the environment while keeping your skin looking healthy. The shea butter and ginseng are good at keeping your skin hydrated from flaking or dryness so that the parts that are prone to drying like your feet and hands can stay soft and nourished throughout the day.
It also helps to reduce the redness on your skin. This lotion has natural light and fresh scent of flowers and bananas which has no harsh chemicals that will irritate your skin or hurt your tan. This is the perfect lotion if you want to retain your sun-kissed glow without having to worry about the ingredients in the lotion. It’s made from pure natural hemp seed oil with shea butter and is 100% vegan.
- It’s not greasy and absorbs easily into your skin
- Has a light sweet fragrance
- Helps to heal sun-damaged skin
- You can use it both day and night to keep your skin hydrated and nourished
- Not good for people with eczema because it’s scented
A great natural moisturizing lotion with high-quality ingredients that will keep your skin hydrated and nourished throughout the day while helping your tan last longer.
CeraVe moisturizing cream
- [ ALL DAY HYDRATION ] Provides 24-hour hydration and helps restore the protective skin barrier with three essential ceramides (1,3,6-II)
- [ MOISTURE-RETAINING INGREDIENTS ] Formulated with hyaluronic acid to help retain skin's natural moisture
- [ PATENTED TECHNOLOGY ] Utilizes patented MVE controlled-release technology to help replenish ceramides and deliver long lasting moisturization
This moisturizing cream is recommended by dermatologists that are safe to use on sensitive skin and your spray tan. It has hydrating properties that don’t clog your pores and is fantastic on spray tanned skin to keep it looking moisturized. It contains essential ceramides to protect your skin and hyaluronic acid to help in retaining your skin’s natural moisture. If you have sensitive skin, it will most likely get dehydrated after a spray tan treatment so you need an after spray tanning lotion that is fragrance-free and non-comedogenic.
This is because of your delicate skin and your spray tan needs a lotion that will not cause an allergic reaction. CeraVe is made with a gentle and non-irritating formula which makes it perfect for people with eczema and sensitive skin. It has a rich creamy texture that is non-greasy and oil-free and made with patented technology to ensure that your skin stays hydrated giving you long-lasting moisturization.
- Keeps your skin moisturized without that greasy feel
- Leaves your skin soft and glowing
- Can be used on acne-prone and sensitive skin
- Soothes dry and itchy skin
An excellent moisturizing cream that is recommended by dermatologists for sensitive and acne-prone skin. Its fragrance and oil free so you don’t have to worry about clogging your pores and although it has a creamy texture, it quickly absorbs into your skin. It contains ceramides and hyaluronic acid that are very good at protecting your skin barrier and keeping it moisturized.
Jergens natural glow daily moisturizer
- Gradually creates flawless, natural-looking color while hydrating skin, even when the beach is miles (or months) away
- Developed to subtly enhance and gradually deepen the natural skin tone, providing streak-free, hassle-free color
- Keeps skin moisturized and healthy-looking with a blend of antioxidants and Vitamin E
This is a moisturizer that will gradually give you a flawless natural looking color while keeping your skin hydrated. It contains ingredients that leave your skin hydrated, antioxidants, and vitamin E to keep your skin moisturized while improving your natural skin tone to give you a subtle and flawless skin. This moisturizing lotion has a light fresh scent with no residue that comes with a sunless tanner odor.
It gradually creates a smooth and even color on your skin as the vitamins and antioxidants help to protect your skin while providing nourishment and a glow that lasts long. This moisturizer is a great after spray tanning lotion that will help to boost and enhance the appearance of your skin after your tanning session. You can use it daily as a body lotion to keep the glow on your skin and keep your skin looking healthy.
- A great lotion for building a gradual shade
- Works well even on fair skin
- A tinted moisturizer
- Doesn’t feel sticky and quickly absorbs into your skin
- Leaves no streaks
- The scent can be a bit strong for some people
A moisturizer that gradually builds your tan to give you a smooth and even color with no streaks. It contains vitamins and antioxidants that help to nourish and protect your skin keeping it looking healthy.
Vaseline intensive care body lotion
- Vaseline Intensive Care Cocoa Radiant Body Lotion moisturizes dry skin
- Vaseline’s Cocoa Radiant Body Lotion is made with 100% pure cocoa and shea butters, known to reveal skin’s natural radiance
- Heals dry skin for glowing radiance with non-greasy, rich moisturization
This lotion is formulated with cocoa butter that is naturally good for your skin because it’s known for healing and soothing dry, cracked, and dull skin making it soft and smooth even on your elbows, heels, and toes. It also contains glycerin that helps to draw moisture to your skin so that it remains deeply moisturized for longer.
The cocoa and shea butter combination help to bring out your skin’s natural radiance while healing your dry skin to give you a natural glow all day. The microdroplets in the Vaseline jelly hold the moisture in creating a barrier that gives your skin time to recover. Your skin remains smooth and hydrated without the oily or greasy feel because it absorbs quickly into your skin leaving it soft and smooth with a lovely cocoa butter scent.
- Keeps your skin well hydrated and moisturized
- It’s not greasy or oily
- Great for people with sensitive skin
- It’s has a light texture and has no residue
- Complaints of the lotion being too watery
A great body lotion made from cocoa butter that helps to keep your skin moisturized and looking healthy. It contains ingredients like glycerin that helps to attract moisture to your skin so that it doesn’t dry up but stay moisturized all day.
Shea moisture body lotion
- Moisturizes and repairs dry, rough s
This is a great skin moisturizer made from natural and organic ingredients that nourish and moisturize your skin throughout the day. It contains no mineral oil, parabens, or any petroleum products which makes it great for people with sensitive skin. The argan oil and raw shea butter are excellent for keeping your skin soft, smooth, and moisturized as well as healing your skin.
Shea butter is a great ingredient to use after a spray tanning session because it has the natural abilities to moisturize your skin and keeping your tan looking flawless. The frankincense and myrrh extracts give this lotion a great scent that you will love on your skin.
- The lotion has a nice exotic scent
- Keeps your skin feeling soft and smooth
- Contains no harmful ingredients
- Good for dry skin
- Takes time to rub it into your skin
- Difficult to squeeze it out of the bottle because it’s too thick
A natural and organic skin moisturizer that contains natural ingredients that will leave your skin feeling soft, smooth, and moisturized all day with a sweet and unique scent. It contains shea butter that is good at keeping your skin soft and moisturized with excellent healing properties.
Why you need a moisturizer or lotion after your spray tan
You know that before you go for a spray tanning session you need to exfoliate your skin a day before so that the dead skin cells don’t interfere with the development of your tan. The same principle applies after your tanning session. Keeping your skin hydrated will ensure that your tan stays for longer because the natural exfoliation process for your skin is slowed down. But don’t confuse hydrating your skin with taking a shower after tanning because you can’t shower after spray tanning, it will ruin your tan.
Here are some of the reasons you should keep your skin moisturized after spray tanning.
- Moisturizing helps to slow down your skin’s drying process so your tan fades at a much slower pace.
- Your skin can glow evenly.
- Your skin can reflect and retain the color of the tan.
- Well, hydrated skin has a natural glow that you get after spending hours in the sun.
Fresh and moisturized skin is better able to absorb the spray tan solution, but you also need to keep your skin moisturized to maintain the tan. This can only happen if the lotion you’re using doesn’t contain ingredients that will strip off the tan. Some after spray tanning lotions or moisturizers contain ingredients that are harmful to your tan. Ingredients like mineral oil will cause your skin to start exfoliating will remove your spray tan because it’s only absorbed by the first layer of your skin.
That’s why you must use the right after spray tan lotion while you have a tan. After you take a shower, you should apply the moisturizer or lotion to help your skin absorb some of the moisture from the shower.
Some ingredients you need to avoid
Each after spray tanning lotions contain different ingredients that you should carefully check to see if they benefit your tan or not. Some of the ingredients can cause your tan to come off or they can speed up your skin’s exfoliation process causing your tan to fade off faster than it should. Some of these ingredients and products to avoid include:
- Most essential oils
- Mineral oil
- Anti-aging products
- Make-up removal products, etc.
Ingredients that you can use
Now that you know what to avoid, there are ingredients and products that you want to use after you’ve had a spray tan. These include:
- Aloe vera
- Fragrance-free lotion
- Shea butter
- Coconut oil
- Oil-free products
Aftercare for your spray tan
- After applying your tan, leave it on your body for at least 8 hours or you can sleep with it if possible to give it time to fully develop before you take a shower the next morning.
- Remember not to wear any socks or shoes so that your tan develops properly on your feet.
- Also avoid putting on tight clothes like bras, tight blouses, tight-fitting jeans, or spandex for at least 5 hours.
- Wearing long boots after getting a tan can give you a tan with patches on your legs.
- You should avoid taking a shower, going swimming, or doing any vigorous exercises for at least 5 hours because sweating can prevent your tan from developing properly.
- Avoid shaving for at least 12 hours after your tanning session because it can cause your tan to fade.
After getting a spray tan, how long your tan lasts will largely depend on how you take care of it after your tanning session. If you want your spray tan to last long, you must use a moisturizer because spry tans don’t have a long life. So using moisturizers and tan extenders is one of the best ways to extend your spray tan. Natural Hempz seed oil body moisturizer is an excellent body moisturizer made with pure organic hemp seed oil and other natural ingredients that will keep your skin nourished, moisturized, and hydrated.