Getting a tan has a way of giving you an instant confidence boost, the perfect way to hide your blemishes and imperfections, allows you to try bold makeup, and leaves your skin with a nice glow. Spray tans are an easy and fast way of giving you that golden, summer glow without damaging your skin. However, you need to prep your skin, and spray tan primers are designed to give your skin all it needs to prepare for a spray tan.
We all have had our fair share of bad spray tan disasters that’s why you need the right skin care tips and precautionary steps so you can look as fabulous as you would have hoped in no time and not worry about falling victim to another tanning disaster. A good spray tan primer will provide you with ample coverage without leaving your skin patchy and streaky, give you healthy skin, and provide you with a long-lasting tan.
List of the Best Spray Tan Primers
Versa spa intensifying primer
- PREP, PRIME, PERFECT, AND PROTECT: Apply this all-in-one tan accelerator prior to any self-tanning...
- AMPLIFY AND ACCELERATE: Lightweight gel-lotion formula effortlessly glides onto skin, while blending...
- BALANCE, BUILD, AND BOOST: This pH-balanced tanning accelerator builds, beautifies, deepens, and...
If you’re looking to have the most radiant and intensified glow, this is the best spray tan primer to use. It’s a lightweight gel lotion that you can easily apply to your skin and blend effortlessly. It dries almost immediately so you don’t have to wait for long to apply your spray tan to give you a deep, dark color that will last for longer while keeping your skin well-nourished. This spray tan primer is formulated with a unique blend of green and brown marine algae that helps to keep your skin moisturized, oxygenated, and detoxified and also tighten and tone your skin, while the anti-aging antioxidants protect your skin from free radical damage. This helps to keep your skin well-nourished as your spray tan develops and provides your skin all it needs to maintain the glow. It’s also enriched with amino acids that help to accentuate, amplify, and improve the life and intensity of your tan.
This primer is pH-balanced that helps to boost the effectiveness of your spray tan accelerating its development and promoting a deeper glow. Apart from nourishing your skin, this primer cuts down by half the development time of your tan color allowing you to enjoy your new glow in no time.
- Helps to enhance and extend your color
- A little goes a long way
- Smells great and masks the spray tan smell
- Very easy to apply
- Helps your tan last longer
- It’s expensive
- It takes forever to dry if you apply too much
St. Moriz skin primer advanced pro formula
- The Advanced Pro Exfoliating Skin Primer allows you to prep and prime your skin before tanning to...
- Creates the optimum base for your tan to develop and last longer.
- Patented mood enhancing fragrance technology, for the most luxurious tanning experience.
This skin primer will help to prepare your skin for tanning by creating an even canvas and leaving your skin smooth and silky for the perfect tan application. This skin primer is formulated with advanced ingredients that help to prep and prime your skin before your spray tan so you can achieve that perfect, natural-looking tan. It will also help to remove the dead skin cells and you can use it to remove tan buildup in your elbow creases, wrists, armpits, and ankles and even help your tan to fade evenly. It will help to extend the life of your spray tan which means you will take longer to reapply your spray tan. This is a great primer that is suitable for sensitive skin so you don’t have to worry about having a skin reaction to the primer. It’s waterproof and non-transferable so it won’t wash off or stain your clothes.
- Helps to exfoliate and even out your skin surface
- Has a very nice fragrance
- Can be used on sensitive skin
- It’s not greasy
- The smell can be a bit strong for some people
California tan color maximizer primer
This is a skin primer that will help prime your skin to develop a deep and darker color, and also allow it to last for longer. It’s formulated with a unique blend of protein and carbohydrates that helps to promote optimum color development within a short time. It also contains marine algae, ginseng, and gynostemma that keep your skin deeply moisturized preventing it from drying out during your spray tan. It’s formulated with a quick-dry gel formulation that ensures you don’t have to wait to apply your spray tan. You can use this primer to provide all you need to prep your skin for both your spray tan and tanning bed so you can have a gorgeous glow and help your tan last longer.
- Ensures your tan is evenly distributed
- Works well to preserve your tan for longer
- It dries fast
- Nourishes your skin
- It’s not expensive
- Doesn’t have a nice smell
Jergens natural glow color primer
- With a fruit extract complex, this in-shower scrub creates a perfectly polished canvas so you can...
- Smooths and gently exfoliates rough patches to prepare skin for improved color absorption
- Light, fresh scent
This skin primer is a shower scrub has a formulation that contains an amino fruit extract complex that will help to exfoliate all the dead skin and flatten blotchy and rough skin spots and prime your skin for a streak-free color resulting in an even, natural-looking glow. You apply this in-shower scrub when taking a bath and rinse it thoroughly at least once a week before your spray tan appointment. This in-shower scrub will create a clean, soft, and smooth surface and help your skin to better absorb the color so you can achieve a beautifully blended color.
- Has a very nice smell and texture
- Helps to exfoliate your skin
- Keeps your skin moisturized
- Comes in a very small container
- It’s expensive
Importance of spray tan primer
Using spray tan primers ensures that your skin is well-prepped to hold the spray tan. Here are a few reasons why a spray tan primer is important.
- Helps to improve your skin’s health. Most goo primers also double up as skin moisturizers and conditioners that help to keep your skin well-nourished to allow the spray tan to hold on and also prevents your skin from drying out during the spray tan process.
- Helps you to achieve superior coverage free of streaks and patches. The primer evens out the condition of your skin providing a base for the spray tan to react with. To improve the coverage, you should exfoliate the day before you use the primer.
- Ensures you have a long-lasting tan. By nourishing and hydrating your skin, the primer helps to extend the quality of your spray tan for a more long-lasting effect. With a good primer and a maintenance routine, you can easily double the amount of time your color lasts after your first application.
How to prep your skin for a spray tan
- Exfoliate at least 8 hours before your spray tan. This helps to remove all dead skin cells on the top layer of your skin that prevents you from getting a patchy uneven tan.
- Shave and wax at least 24 hours before you tan. This gives your skin plenty of time to calm down to ensure a comfortable and flawless spray tan. If you wax or shave too close to your appointment, the spray tan will get into your pores and give you small dark spots and also cause irritation.
- Take a shower before a spray tan to remove the sweat on your skin and help your tan be absorbed evenly.
- Don’t use any lotion or oil beforehand because it will interfere with the development of your spray tan, but you can apply a non-oil based moisturizer on your elbows, knees, wrists, and ankles to prevent them from over-drying. Also avoid applying any makeup, deodorant, or perfume before your spray tan.
- Prime your skin with a pH-balanced primer just before your spray tan appointment. This will help the tan be absorbed deeper into your skin ensuring it lasts longer.
- Wear dark and loose clothes because the spray tan color may rub off on your clothes.
- Paint your nails before going for your appointment to avoid discoloring your nails with a tan. Make sure your spray tanner wipes your palms, fingernails, soles, and toenails after your spray application, or use wipes to do it yourself.
You should use a spray tan primer before your spray tan to ensure that you achieve a deeper, darker color that will last for longer. Spray tan primers like Versa spa intensifying primer are specially formulated to provide your skin with all the nourishment it needs to hold a spray tan and reduce the development time by half to achieve that flawless, perfect glow in no time.