Are you frustrated that no matter what you do your tan isn’t getting any darker? Worry no more, we are here to find you the lotion to use when you hit your plateau. Lets get started.
Have you been tanning and every time it seems as if your skin isn’t getting any darker? It might be because you’ve reached something called the plateau.
This is when you feel your tan isn’t going to get any darker and when you look at yourself in the mirror it’s as if you haven’t applied any tan which can be frustrating.
Then you start looking for things to blame for your predicaments like the tanning beds or the bulbs and so many other things will come to mind to explain why you aren’t tanning, but it’s just simply that you’ve reached a plateau.
Reviewing the best indoor tanning lotion to use when you hit your plateau
1) Coconut kisses golden tanning lotion
- Ultra-Darkening Skin Hydrating Intensifier: Contains coconut milk, coconut oil, and cocoa butter to...
- Tattoo Fade Protecting Formula: Helps prolong the life and radiance of your tattoos and tanning...
- Quad Tyrosine Blend & Melano Bronze: Stimulates and increases melanin formation to accelerate the...
Coconut kisses golden tanning lotion is a tanning intensifier that doesn’t need to use bronzers to give you a dark golden tan. With the help of coconut milk and coconut oil, Coconut kisses will keep your skin extremely hydrated for super soft skin while the sweet fragrance leaves you smelling good all day long.
This lotion contains melanobronze and a blend of Quad tyrosine to stimulate and increase your skin’s production of melanin to accelerate the tanning process. Melactiva is responsible for giving you a darker tan that will last longer, Nouritan will even out your tan and make sure it lasts longer while Body fit will help in reducing the appearance of cellulite and help firm your skin.
- This lotion is effective in giving you a deep, dark tan.
- It has a fantastic light coconut scent.
- It has a smooth velvety feel and it absorbs quickly into your skin.
- Leaves your skin well moisturized.
- The lotion contains no bronzing agents.
You can read the full review of ed hardy coconut kisses review here.
2)Designer skin bombshell bronzer
- Enriched with White Tea Extract, Soy and CoQ-10, this “Ultra-extreme” sizzle formula yields...
- Bask in the sensuous pleasure of this radiant bronzer blend while its exhilarating fragrance...
- Fragrance: Kiwi Watermelon
Bombshell tanning lotion is an excellent solution if you have hit your tanning plateau and can’t tan any darker. With a good base tan, Bombshell can help you break your plateau with just a few tanning sessions to help you achieve a darker tan. It contains soy, white tea extracts, and CoQ10 which are excellent ingredients to nourish your skin and the kiwi watermelon scent to leave you smelling good even after a tanning session.
It has the same great consistency as your hand lotion, not too sticky thick or watery. Once you apply it on your skin it dries quickly so you don’t have to wait for a long time to use the tanning bed. This will shorten the time it takes for you to achieve a darker tan. Like other tingle lotions, Bombshell can be a bit hot and unbearable for tanners who aren’t used to the heat. It can be a bit too strong for your face and other sensitive areas and might leave your skin red for a long period of time.
- The lotion has a moderate tingle effect, hot but not unbearable.
- It’s a great lotion to use when you hit your plateau.
- It gives you a dark golden tan.
- It has natural ingredients that keep your skin soft and smooth.
- Beginning tanners might find it unbearable.
- It’s a bit expensive
3) Australian Gold Dark Tanning Accelerator Lotion
- Australian Natural: Tea Tree Oil, a powerful antioxidant, works to gently cleanse for smooth skin.
- Vitamins A and E: Work to deeply moisturize and provide superior benefits to skin
- Natural Oils: Supply important nutrients to the skin while moisturizing to help hydrate for soft,...
Australian gold accelerator lotion is a great product if you’re on a budget. It’s a high-quality accelerator and can be used for both indoor and outdoor bed tanning. This lotion contains antioxidant and moisturizing ingredients that are beneficial to your skin. The vitamin E helps to reduce the damage caused by the UV rays to your skin while vitamin A protects your skin against the UV rays damage and early signs of aging.
Quinoa extract has a great antioxidant effect to give you a natural-looking color while tea tree oil, panthenol, and olive oil combine to provide your skin with moisture, sooth, and soften your skin so that your skin doesn’t flake or dry when tanning. The best part is you can use this tan accelerator for your indoor and outdoor tanning. It has great ingredients considering the price.
- This lotion accelerator has a nice ice-cream/orange scent that lasts.
- It moisturizes your skin which helps it retain the colour.
- It works fast on the tanning bed and under the sun.
- It’s not sticky or leaves any residue.
- It’s not tested on animals.
- Some people don’t like the smell.
- Not all users can attest to its effectiveness.
4) Snooki ultra dark black bronzer
- Ultra Dark Black Bronzer
- Vitamin enriched
- Moisturizers with Coconut and Sweet Almond oil
Snooki is a Supre tanning lotion that is both an accelerator and a bronzer to give you a very dark tan. It contains henna, black walnut, and DHA that all work together to produce a bronzy glow that only appears after a few hours after application. You should wait at least 4 hours before touching water so that the DHA will have ample time to develop a deeper and darker tan than you ever imagined.
The sweet almond oil and the coconut are skin moisturizers that hydrate your skin keeping it soft and smooth to prevent flaking and patches from ruining your tan. The formula also includes vitamins to help fight free radical damage for more radiant and healthy-looking skin with a glow. The tanner doesn’t contain any parabens which will give you peace of mind when you’re tanning.
- This lotion rubs in evenly and doesn’t leave any orange tint.
- It has a light and pleasant scent.
- Leaves your skin feeling silky smooth.
- Gives you a great tan in a short time.
- Some find the scent overwhelming.
- For some, it only works better with a pre-existing base tan.
5) Hot maximum intensifier
- Dark Tanning Omega Oils help maintain the skin's natural moisture barrier and enhance its ability to...
- Natural Extracts of pure plant and botanical essences supply important nutrients and promote...
- Ideal Formula is ideal for both beginning tanners and those with an established base tan.
Hot maximum intensifier is a tan accelerator designed to speed up the development of your tan whether you’re in an indoor tanning bed or under the sun. It’s effective with an existing base tan or building a fresh tan and has a nice scent that lasts even after a tan. This Australian gold tanning lotion contains high-quality moisturizing and conditioning ingredients like tea tree oils, Kukui, macadamia, olive, and omega.
This tanning lotion contains pure aloe vera is responsible for helping your skin develop a natural tan faster while amino acids and liposomes help to build a deeper, darker color for your tan. It also contains vitamins and anti-aging antioxidants that moisturize and replenish loss vitamins during tanning while fighting wrinkles and fine lines. And because tanning can accelerate your aging process, a tanning lotion with anti-aging properties can help prevent skin damage.
- This lotion has no after tanning odor.
- It works well on fair skin.
- It leaves your skin well moisturized.
- Perfect for indoor and outdoor tanning, has no sting or bronzers.
- It’s a bit pricey.
- Some people have a problem with the scent.
Camo King Black bronzing lotion
- Dark DHA, Natural and Cosmetic bronzers provide instant and time released color to the skin. * BB...
- Provides anti-aging and skin firming benefits with RevitaFit, and advance Matrixyl Synthe 6.
- Very rich in powerful antioxidants
Camo King is a bronzing lotion and accelerator that is specifically designed for men. It’s not just women who love a nice tan, men can also get a perfect tan thanks to this lotion. The enhancer helps to stimulate melanin production to improve your pigmentation for a more natural tan. The natural and cosmetic bronzers together with DHA work faster to build colour to your skin long before you get on the tanning bed. It’s a great tanning lotion for sensitive skin and for men who have tattoos, it helps to protect their colour from fading.
This tanning lotion is developed with Instaslim technology to shrink fat cells for a more toned physique. It’s also rich in powerful antioxidants and anti-aging ingredients like Revitafit and Matrixyl Synthe 6 that help firm your skin, fight signs of aging, and dark spots. This lotion contains a special body deodorizing formula that prevents after tanning odor and a nice citron nior scent.
- This lotion has a great smell that lingers for a long time.
- It gives you a deeper, darker, more natural tan.
- It can be used on sensitive skin.
- Doesn’t leave you feeling greasy.
- Effective on tattoo protection and skin firming benefits.
- Can leave stains on your clothes and knuckles.
Which lotion is the winner?
Indoor tanning lotions with accelerators, intensifiers, bronzers, and tingles are all designed to give you different results for your skin tan. Coconut kisses golden tanning lotion is a tanning intensifier that is formulated with natural ingredients that increase melanin production to accelerate a darker tan while leaving your skin soft and smooth.
What is a tanning plateau?
After tanning for some time, some tanners might reach a point where their skin doesn’t seem like it’s getting any darker. Your skin becomes thicker as your tan progress which makes it harder for the UV light to penetrate the top layers of your skin.
This is called the tanning plateau. When you hit your plateau it’s important that you use a tan extender and accelerator because your skin cells are standing up at a 45-degree angle and reflecting the UV rays. When you use a tan accelerator in your tanning session, it helps these skin cells to flatten and become more translucent so that the UV rays can penetrate.
You can also overcome a tanning plateau by using other tanning equipment that has different UVA/UVB rays that will help to stimulate other layers of your skin. You can also opt to use tanners with a lower level to see if you get some results on your tan.
Other things that can cause a plateau and what you can do about it
Plateaus can be annoying and they certainly happen to all tanners once in a while. Knowing your skin can help you understand how it works and when it has reached its plateau. Apart from your tanning lotion, there are other things that can cause a plateau.
Changes in your diet, poor diet, or some medication you might be taking. If you’ve ever been on a diet, you know that sometimes it happens that you work so hard to lose several pounds then it reaches a point where your body just stops losing any more weight no matter how much food you cut down or change your eating habits.
The reason is your body is preventing you from starving so it’s functioning on fewer calories. To restart your weight loss, you can trick your system by stopping your dieting for a day or two then restarting it again.
You can do the same thing with your tanning process, your skin is your largest organ and your protective layer, so to protect you from sunburn your skin tans. So, if you’re a beginner in tanning and after some time you reach your plateau, use a stronger tanning lotion than you were using.
And if you’re a professional tanner and you have been using high-quality tanners, switch to a beginning lotion and use it for about a week then switch back to what you were using before and you will see an increase in the colour of your tan.
Also, switching to advanced tanning beds, changing lotions, or taking tan enhancer pills can be of great help when you reach a tanning plateau. You can try using a tingle lotion to help increase circulation on your skin’s surface to give you quicker results. Use a good moisturizer that has a tan extender to keep your skin well moisturized even when you aren’t tanning because it’s easier to tan soft skin than dry skin.
Using a blend of oils that has many benefits to your skin instead of lotion can also help.