Every time you step out of sun without sunscreen, you are bound to get tanned skin.
However, the glow achieved from sun tanning is by no means healthy, as it has been proved to cause a number of skin ailments, the worst-case scenario being the development of skin cancer.
And that is why avoiding tanning might add some more years to your life while preventing the unplanned for, medical expenses. You can prevent all this by choosing best sunscreen with atleast spf 30.
Keep in mind, no matter which sunscreen you use, tanning proccess wont be stopped completetly. Sunscreen however will prolong the time you spend under the sun without getting burnt by a significant margin.
List of best sunscreen you can use to prevent tanning
- Hawaiian Tropic Sheer Touch Sunscreen
- LEAVES SKIN RADIANT – Sheer Touch Ultra Radiance sunscreen protects, softens, and leaves skin radiant and luminous. This luxurious formula contains mango...
- UVA/UVB LEVEL PROTECTION – Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB coverage keeps your skin looking its best. Available in SPF 15, 30 and 50. Recommended by The Skin...
- LET YOUR SENSES TAKE YOU AWAY – Luxurious tropical scented sunscreen, infused with our classic coconut fragrance and mango fruit extract, provides an...
The Hawaiian Tropic sheer touch sunscreen stands out from the others because it contains vitamins C and E that are antioxidant agents, which nourish the skin.
Its performance is good on the skin, as it offers a full broad spectrum of UVA and UVB protection, and the formulation enables a radiant skin, which not only protects but softens the skin.
The sunscreen features a tropical fragrance, and the sweet-smelling scent made from Shea butter and the mango fruit extract makes its use and application easy. It is also not greasy, obliterating the chances of looking shiny or leaving residue on your hands after application.
Given that it is a lotion, its application on the easy to forget parts such as the ears and elbows is quite easy.
And its absorption on the skin is fast; the sunscreen comes recommended from the Skin Cancer Foundation and is fairly priced. Users will have up to 80 minutes after the first application.
- Contains vitamin C and E
- Offers UVA and UVB skin protection
- Not greasy
- Features a tropical scent of Shea Butter and Mango fruit extract
- No expiration date on the bottle
- Easily mixes with sweat, can thus get into the eyes
- EltaMD Sport Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
- Provides broad-spectrum sun protection and is water-resistant
- Apply to wet or dry skin
- 9.0% transparent zinc oxide
EltaMD Sport sunscreen is applicable to both wet and dry skin.
And by wearing the sunscreen you get the SPF 50 and have an 80-minute window before your next application. The formulation is safe for all skin types and unlike the other strongly scented sunscreens EltaMD is completely fragrance-free. On application, you won’t have to struggle with an after residue; it also works well with sensitive skin.
Even more important is that when it mixes with sweat and accidentally slips into your eyes, you won’t get the sting feeling. The sunscreen is water-resistant so you don’t have to worry about it running off when you are swimming, it also comes recommended for use by runners, golfers, and swimmers.
- Works with all skin types
- Offers UVA and UVB sun protection
- Allow up to 80 minutes of wear
- Highly effective yet small packaging
- Coppertone Ultra Guard Broad Spectrum Sunscreen
- Protect your skin while in the sun with this broad-spectrum formula
- Delivering water-resistant (80 minutes) UVA/UVB protection for, this sunscreen doesn't feel greasy on your skin
- Nourish and hydrate your skin with moisturizers and Vitamin E
The best thing about Coppertone Ultra Guard Broad Spectrum Sunscreen is that it contains all the important characteristics offered by the best performing formulations in the market but at a cheaper price.
The sunscreen is a broad-spectrum formula that gives you up to 80 minutes of coverage while protecting your skin from the UVA and the UVB sun rays. Upon application it doesn’t leave any residue neither will your skin or hands feel greasy.
The lotion protects your skin by moisturizing and with vitamin E in its formulation, it will enhance the health of your skin. It is a dermatologist-tested sunscreen thus will not harm your skin however; the sunscreen has been manufactured with octinoxate and oxybenzone which tend to be a little hard on sensitive the skin.
- Fairly priced
- Offers UVA and UVB sun rays protection
- Dermatologist tested
- Remains whitish on the skin until it dries up
- Does not contain fragrance
- La-Roche-Posay Anthelious Sunscreen Milk
La-Roche Posay comes highly recommended by the dermatologists, and when compared to other sunscreens of the same performance in the market, La Roche ranks a bit high. Users are, therefore, advised to use the lotion 15 minutes before exposure, and it is not recommended for use on kids.
After application you can enjoy up to 80 minutes of coverage, therefore you will reapply after every two hours. But when you towel dry apply it immediately, as the sunscreen will have been wiped off, swimming and sweating do not have any effect on the formulation.
La-Roche contains UVA and UVB protection, also included are antioxidants that enhance the health of your skin. The sunscreen is water-resistant and has a velvety feel upon application; absorption of the milk formulation in the skin is fast with no residue.
The formulation does not contain any fragrance thus easy for anyone to use, and it is also paraben-free, so you don’t have to worry about getting irritations from harmful chemicals. What’s more, is that it is non-comedogenic, so your pores are not going to get blocked. People with sensitive skin can use it as it has been tested for allergy reactions and proved safe for use.
For the ladies who don’t want to leave the house without makeup, they can put it on first then wear their makeup. The sunscreen is a broad spectrum SPF 60; it, therefore, will do an amazing job on your face as well as your body.
- Offers up to 80 minutes protection
- The formulation includes an antioxidant for the health of your skin
- It is water-resistant
- It is non-comedogenic
- Price is on the higher side
- Does not have fragrance
- Neutrogena Age Shield Face lotion Sunscreen
- 1 Piece - 3 Ounce (88ml)
- Water-Resistant (Up To 80 Min)
- Non-Greasy, Oil-Free Lotion
The Neutrogena age shield face sunscreen is a broad spectrum SPF 70, the formulation will protect your skin for up to 80 minutes and reapplication will be after every two hours. Swimming shouldn’t be a problem if you are using the lotion because it is water-resistant.
Neutrogena is made of lightweight formulation thus easily absorbed into the skin, it is not greasy and does not leave residue after application. Lastly, is that it offers protection for the UAV and the UVB rays, PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid) has not been included in its manufacture. So people with sensitive skin can use it.
Moisturizers and conditioners have been used in its manufacture to help keep your skin supple and radiant. It is a dermatologist-approved sunscreen that offers protection of up to 6 layers deep.
- Offers SPF 70 protection
- It is Water resistant
- Easily absorbed in the skin
- Offers protection from both the UAV and UVB rays
- Works best on the face
- Sun Bum Original Moisturizing Sunscreen
- ORIGINAL SPF 30 SUNSCREEN LOTION . This is the stuff we use every day. It’s the formula that started it all. People say it smells like summer. We like that....
- MOISTURIZING SUN PROTECTION. Dermatologist and Sonny approved, this non-comedogenic sunscreen delivers UVA/UVB protection and is packed with Vitamin E. Our...
- HOW TO USE. 15 minutes before sun exposure, apply liberally to all areas of the skin and avoid the eye area. For best results, reapply after 80 minutes of...
Sun Bum’s formulation comes recommended for both adults and kids, and individuals with sensitive skin can also use the sunscreen. The formulation has been tested by the Skin Cancer Foundation and found suitable for use on all types of skins.
The SPF protection seems to be a bit low than most sunscreens that are used to prevent tanning but it does offer the broad spectrum UVA and UVB protection.
Water does not wash it away, so it can be used during swimming and even if you get rained on you can still reapply after 80 minutes. The formulation incorporates reef-friendly and vegan ingredients, necessary for the protection against UVA rays. It is vitamin E enriched; therefore, it will enhance the health of your skin, moisturizing it to prevent premature aging.
Sun Bum is non-comedogenic, PABA free, and Oxybenzone & Octinoxate Free, formulation, which adheres to the recommendations and guidelines that have been set by the American Cancer Society and the Skin Cancer Foundation.
- Suitable for both adults and kids
- It is water-resistant and vitamin E enriched
- Has been approved by the American Cancer Society and the Skin Cancer Foundation
- The formulation is non-comedogenic, PABA free, oil-free and Gluten-free
- Not good for the eyes in case of sweating or improper application
- Contains a strong scent
- Badger Broad-spectrum Lavender Sunscreen
- Protects against UVA and UVB rays with Zinc Oxide, a safe, physical blocker. No oxybenzone, octinoxate or other chemical actives—ever
- Water and sweat resistant for 40 minutes. Biodegradable—coral reef safe and planet-friendly
- Skin-soothing base of Sunflower oil, Beeswax and vitamin E. Naturally scented with organic Bulgarian Lavender
Unlike the other sunscreens that we have looked at that offer up to 80 minutes protection, the Badger Broad Spectrum performance is a bit low with only 40 minutes. However, it will protect your skin with a non-nano mineral Zinc Oxide.
The composition of the formula is natural and will protect and enhance the health of your skin. The components used are Beeswax, Vitamin E, and Sunflower. Upon application, you will also perceive a sweet Bulgarian Lavender scent.
The sunscreen does not include any genetically modified components and has been certified by the NSF Non-GMO True North. No chemical additives have been used, making it suitable for different skin types; the company prides itself with a variety of sunscreens that you can choose from apart from the Badger Lavender.
- Rich in Vitamin E and contains antioxidants
- It is biodegradable thus environment safe
- Works well with different types of skin
- Up to 40 minutes of protection
- Can clog pores as it is a barrier and mineral sunscreen
- The sunscreen is strongly scented
- Hawaiian Tropic Island Sport Broad Spectrum Sunscreen Spray, SPF 50, 6 Ounce
- Breathable, ultra-light sunscreen won't clog pores
- Fast-absorbing, sweat-resistant formula won't run into eyes
- Sprays at any angle with quick and even coverage
The Hawaiian tropic sunscreen radiates a tropical scent made from the mango fruit extract and coconut fragrance. Given the dangerous effects of the sun on the skin when sunbathing, Island sport offers a broad spectrum of UAV and UVB levels of protection, and It comes recommended by the Skin Cancer Foundation, offering SPF 15, 30 and 59 respectively.
Your beaches days are bound to be more fun because the sunscreen gives you up to 80 minutes protection, some good time to focus on other important matters before the next application, and is water-resistant. The sunscreen’s formulation is not too heavy to clog your skin pores but instead, it moisturizes enabling a smooth and radiant appearance.
The packaging also allows a user to easily spray it on their skin, thus full coverage. Be sure to keep it off your eyes, and what’s more, is that it gets absorbed into the skin faster because of its lightweight nature.
- Does not burn the skin
- Features a tropical smell
- Offers UAV and UVB protection
- Comes in SPF 15, 30, AND 50
- The scent is too concentrated
- Leaves a shiny look
Negative Effects of Tanning
People, who consistently tan their skin, run the risk of aging prematurely; the tone and texture of the skin is affected and some people develop spots. From the first day that you get a suntan, your skin will slowly but gradually begin to damage, and the Genetic mutations created puts your life at risk.
Since most of the negative effects discussed are caused by the sun’s Ultra Violet rays, you might be tempted to think that the indoor tanning beds are safe. The latter just like UV will damage your skin and that is inclusive of the dark and medium types of skin. There will be DNA injury that will make your skin age faster than normal and you could also develop skin cancer.
The sun’s rays are to provide us with vitamin D, however, there are two types of rays, one which is the UVB, responsible for the production of the much-needed vitamin D that absorbs calcium leading to the formation of strong bones. Tanning, on the other hand, is caused by the UVA rays, which do not contain any sort of vitamin D but rather increase the risk of cancer.
Sunless tanning products, however, will give you the Bronze look with minimal risk when compared to the sun’s rays. Therefore, even as you use the sunless tanning products; protecting your skin from the sun is paramount by using sunscreen. Another method of enriching your skin tone is by engaging in high-intensity exercises, and you can also routinely do aerobic exercises.
Just like other parts of the body, the skin needs nutrients to achieve the supple look. You can, therefore, ensure that you eat a lot of unprocessed foods and take a lot of water for hydration.
Facts about sunscreen
Many men and women detest wrinkles in the face, neck or at the back of the palm caused by exposure to the sun. This are the first areas that show signs of aging or skin damage, however, there are a number of products in the market developed to prevent the development of fine lines both in the face and the neck. And the use of sunscreen also works to obliterate the effects of UV rays.
So finding the perfect formulation for your skin type may take a while, and there are a few important factors that you have to consider before you get their full benefit. First is the Sun Protection Factor (SPF), check on this detail as you purchase your sunscreen, to know the amount of time that the sun will take before it burns your skin.
The words Broad Spectrum on a sunscreen lotion, informs you that the particular sunscreen can protect your skin from both the UVA and the UVB rays. Lastly, you might notice the words “water resistance,” which means that even as you go for a swim, your sunscreen will not be washed off and only need to reapply after the protective time lapses.
The lotion usually comes with directions for application and if you don’t apply as directed then you will not protect your skin from the harmful UVA rays. Make sure you cover every inch of your skin and be consistent.
Benefits of Sunscreen to the skin
Too much sun on the skin will lead to the development of sunburns, which will consequently weaken your skin. When this happens you will notice that the surface of your skin might start to peel, and you might also develop hives or start swelling. Some people will start itching and develop a red pigment; sunscreen, therefore, will help prevent the sunburns, failure to which you risk developing lethal melanoma.
Sunscreen reduces the chances of getting skin cancer by a big percentage. Young women, whose skin might get damaged easily from exposure to the sun, need to wear sunscreen the most. By wearing your formulation daily, you reduce the chances of getting the varied types of skin cancer, especially melanoma, which is the worst type that can cost you your life.
A supple radiant and young-looking skin is every man and woman’s desire, fine aging lines are not appealing especially at a young age. Sunscreen will, therefore, prevent your skin from developing wrinkles and fine lines. And to limit their occurrence even as you become an older adult, adopt the occasional use of a good sunscreen formulation.
Blotchiness on the face is an effect of the UV rays, and the use of sunscreen will prevent the eruption of the red veins and the irritating blotchiness. Another benefit is that the onset of acne and the detested weathered skin look can also be prevented.
Titanium in your sunscreen formulation will ensure that keratin, elastin, and collagen are protected. The mentioned skin proteins help to keep your skin smooth and healthy. Sunscreen can help reduce the effects of UVB rays that are responsible for tanning; however, you have to be keen to reapply the formulation consistently, more so if your skin is prone to damages.
Swimming, exercising and sweating will wash away your sunscreen unless it is waterproof, so if the above happens, be sure to re-apply another protective coat. And when you go shopping for your ideal sunscreen formulation, choose one with an SPF of 30 and above, which will be effective in protecting your skin against the UVB rays.
Not everyone loves to tan. Not everyone finds tanning beautiful.
We, therefore, can manage the situation by using the best sunscreen that prevents tanning as highlighted above; all of the above products have different strengths as well as downsides but are effective nonetheless. So just make a suitable choice to protect your skin.
Can i still tan wearing sunscreen and what happens you tan in shade – Independent.co.uk